Thursday, July 21, 2011

Does a Number Define Me?

Does a number define me? Right now it feels like it does. And I am not proud of that fact. I am trying to put on my workout pants and get over it, but I am mad. I worked out for two and a half hours at the gym yesterday, ate perfectly (even had the correct amount of animal protein) and even played three games of sand volleyball in the heat. Then, I went to a new Mexican restaurant and had three glasses of water – no margarita’s, no chips. And I felt great. Then I weighed today because I wanted to see the fruits of my labor. And I was UP 1.2 pounds and it broke my heart. I am not sure why I care, but I do. So, I was up four after having my chocolate wine and pizza on Sunday… and I was sure I would have lost some of that with my hard work this week – but I gained more!! I cannot help but let this make me mad. How can it be so hard for me to lose and maintain my goal weight? When I saw my old boss this weekend he said that he expected me to look emaciated with the way I eat and how hard I work out. I DO TOO!! How can it be so hard to lose and maintain a decent weight? I am not trying to be rail thin… I am simply trying to NOT be classified as overweight! According to the bodybugg, I should lose about two pounds a week, and that NEVER happens. I have learned that my body simply does not respond to the whole “calories in, calories out” concept. I need to really avoid sugar and dairy and pretty much anything processed. Even when I do that – those numbers so not balance out for me. And it is soooo hard to not let it get to me. I want to be above a number on the scale, but I am not. I want to be, but I always let it break my heart. And I hate that about myself. This whole numbers game I never win is part of ME and I try to accept it. There are days when I accept what it is and I am truly grateful for this odd body I have. It is the body that had my children and the body that my children use as a pillow to watch TV. I am proud of how strong I have become and how much effort I am able to put forth… but, at the end of the day, I feel like that effort should produce results. And when it doesn’t, it makes me sad. :(

1 comment:

  1. Well that's absurd you can't weigh yourself day to day and expect to have some sort of accurate account of what's going on. Your body is a system and it changes constantly but it takes time to see the "fruits" of your labor. Just like other systems like the economy or other finance related systems such as the stock market and investments. One day to the next doesn't really tell you anything but over the long run results are revealed. Anyways by the day you described I promise you that if you keep that up you will surely find that you will get some positive results I guarantee it!

    If you can't tell I'm into finance and am working on a finance blog http://financeguy.org . I hope you will take a look one day in between workouts and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete